In late January, Google quietly released a new formula function for custom columns in AdWords. Using the custom formulas functionality, marketers can apply formulas to metrics available in the custom columns drop-down. For marketers importing call tracking data from Google Analytics and/or tracking calls directly from ads, new metrics can be formed that allow call data to be consumed more easily. Below is an outline of how to create and use the new formula functions to build two new custom reports in your account.
Call Conversion Percentage
This example details how to view call conversions attributed by DialogTech’s call attribution platform as a percentage of total conversions in your AdWords account using the formulas function.
- At either the campaign or ad group level within an AdWords account, click on the “Columns” drop-down and select “Modify columns.”
- On the “Modify columns” screen, click on “Custom” and select “+Column.”
- This will bring you to the custom column creation screen. On this screen, give the column a name and a description. For this example, I am going to create a formula to see call conversions from DialogTech as a percentage of total conversions for these ad groups.
- After you have applied a column name and description (which appears when you hover over the column’s respective question mark in reporting), the custom metric can now be created. Under the section labeled “Formula,” click on the “Select a metric” drop-down and navigate to Conversions > Conversions.
- Once selected, the Conversions metric will appear in the Formula section. Now I want to create a formula that allows me to see call conversions from DialogTech as a percentage of total conversions. To do this I need to select the goal I have imported from Google Analytics within the drop-down menu that is now available under the Conversions metric I have added to the formula. By clicking on the down arrow, I can view my available conversions:
I can then scroll down to select the imported Google Analytics goal for calls attributed by DialogTech:
- Once I have selected my imported goal, I can create the rest of my formula. I can simply add a division symbol from the new formula options in the header of the Formula section, and then select Conversions again following the process performed in step 4. *Note: make sure to select “Percent (%)” as the metric type from the right-hand drop-down.
- Now the formula is complete! Hit “Save” and then apply the custom column to your report.
Total Call Conversions Percentage
This example details how to view total call conversions as a percentage of total conversions in your AdWords account using the formulas function. “Total call conversion” in this case accounts for call conversions imported using DialogTech call tracking and calls made directly from ads (e.g., call-only ads and call extensions).
To begin creating this custom column, follow steps 1-3 of the Call Conversion Percentage above.
- Once steps 1-3 are completed, select an addition symbol (+) from the header of the “Formula” section and then follow steps 4 and 5 from the previous example. Once you have added the “Conversions” metric to your formula select the conversion named “Calls from ads.”
- Once the “Calls from ads” conversion has been added, wrap the equation in parenthesis and divide the equation by total conversion. *Note: make sure to select the “Percent (%)” metric type on the upper right-hand side.
- Save your custom column and apply it to your report. If you have included this custom column and the first custom column created at the beginning of this article, you will likely see a difference between “Total Call Conversions” and “Call Conversions” from DialogTech.
Digital & Social Articles on Business 2 Community