The end of the year is approaching fast, making now a great time to sit down with your employees, reflect on their 2016 achievements and help set them up for success in 2017.
Studies show employees who are working towards achieving their goals are more motivated and engaged in their work. This, in turn, helps the business as higher engagement rates lead to reduced turnover and a more productive organization.
Here are five benefits managers and business leaders will gain by taking the time to help set individual goals for each of their employees.
- Professional Development: The business world is ever-changing and it’s important that your employees are constantly learning. Encouraging employees to set goals focused on further developing their skill set will not only help employees be more efficient in their roles but will help build their confidence, further engaging them in their work.
- Measurability: Setting goals allows your organization and your employees to better measure their progress helping to keep them motivated and accountable. It’s also a helpful way to understand how each employee’s role impacts the overall success and goals of your organization.
- Employee Wellbeing: According to LiveStrong, goal setting can help reduce some of the stress employees feel on a daily basis. Employees are constantly bombarded with projects and tasks, but when they know their goals they are able to prioritize and focus better.
- Decision Making: When employees have a clear sense of direction they are better equipped when it comes to making snap decisions. Employees are able to ask themselves if the decisions they are making will help or hinder them reaching their goals, and can proceed accordingly.
- Faster Results: By setting goals you are also able to set deadlines for goal completions. These factors help employees manage their time better, stay on task, and deliver faster results.
Here’s a helpful guide to writing successful goals.
Business & Finance Articles on Business 2 Community
We challenge each of you to ask yourselves “What do I want to accomplish in 2017 and how will I get there?”