Since the first “The Internet Report” was published twenty years ago, the number of Internet users has risen from 35 million in 1995 to over 2.8 billion today. The latest Internet Trends Report, which presented by the legendary internet analyst from the venture capital firm KPCB, takes insightful look at today’s key Internet trends globally.
The new report highlights the fact that “while still healthy Internet user and smartphone subscription growth continue to slow, Internet engagement continues to rise led by consumers spending more time on their mobile devices, where they can be connected 24/7. Mobile advertising still has headroom to expand and new innovations around ad formats and buy buttons should prove compelling for consumers and businesses”
The full report, presented by KPCB’s Mary Meeker, can be seen here:
Some of the highlights from Internet Trends Report 2015 including:
· The significant growth of mobile internet has become the most distinctive shift since 1995 as the population penetration of mobile phones grew from 1% globally in 1995 to 73% in 2014.
· The top 15 publicly traded internet companies totalled $ 17 billion in market capitalization in 1995; in 2014 they totalled $ 2.4 trillion.
· The internet has had a surprisingly huge impact on consumers, however the impact is relatively small on governments and policy thinking.
· Internet user growth and smartphone subscription growth has seen slowing down over the recent years, as the penetration rate reached high
· Global internet usage, measured by data traffic, was up 22% in 2014. Mobile data traffic was up 69%, yet a still slow growth rate from previous year.
· Mobile advertising—just 14% of total digital advertising—still has room to grow, relative to how much time people spend on their devices. Print advertising is still over-indexed.
· “Vertical viewing” on mobile devices is now 29% of time looking at screens, up from 5% five years ago.
· Among US millennials, 87% say their smartphone “never leaves their side,” and 44% use their phone’s camera daily.
· Consumer drone shipments grew 167% in 2014, to 4.3 million units. Now more than 400 US companies are approved to operate drones commercially.
· China continues to lead as the biggest market for Internet Industry, while innovation has become a new focus for local internet companies.
· India “appears to be at internet penetration growth inflection,” as the top country in internet user additions per year: It was up 63 million in 2014. Mobile is huge there, relative to other countries.Digital & Social Articles on Business 2 Community