For many years, Google Advertising options such as Adwords were only supplemental choices to a company’s marketing program. However, Google algorithms are changing, and it is becoming increasingly important for companies to invest in digital advertising. FYI – Algorithms determine which websites rank higher in the search results section. One small change can mean a big difference in how your website appears in search results.
While it’s different for every industry and circumstance, adding online advertising to your marketing strategy can drive substantial traffic, increase lead conversions and develop a stronger online brand presence.
So what are the different Search Engine Marketing (SEM) options available? Google alone has several ad types that a company can opt into. All of these give a business the benefit of making money online. Google has shown that they constantly adapt with technology, adding advertising options for mobile apps and online videos in recent years.
Below are some Google services that give companies opportunities to drive revenue:
Google Adwords is perhaps the most well known advertising option that Google offers. Adwords allows a business display an ad within their network. A major perk of Adwords is that companies do not need to have penitence when it comes to ranking on search engines. By investing in Adwords, you are guaranteeing that you appear in search results. Businesses set a budget and pay when people click on the ads. Often known as “Pay per Click” or PPC, there are several campaign types to choose from:
- Search network – Ads are matched to search results pages based on the keywords or phrases that someone searches. Companies should use this if they want their ads to appear on the first page of a Google search, and if you want to target people who are searching for your specific product or service.
- Display Network – your ads are placed on websites and appear for online users who have searched for your campaign keywords. Companies should use this if they want to build brand awareness and to remain top-of-mind for customers who browse online.
- Shopping – Retailers can use Shopping campaigns to promote online and local inventory.
- Video – Video campaigns allow a company to show video ads within other video content on YouTube. Your ad will show at the beginning of YouTube videos. This offers a dynamic and creative way to advertise your product or service.
Because YouTube has over a billion users — almost one-third of all people on the Internet — video ads are appealing because you can reach a massive audience.
AdSense is an advertising placement service for website publishers. You can display targeted text, video or image ads on certain website pages. When visitors on the websites view or click the ads, you earn money.
You can choose what type of ads show up on our website and where, so you have some control over how it looks. Ad types include text, display or both. Google bills the advertisers and networks on your behalf, and then they automatically pay you once you’ve accrued a minimum amount.
With AdMob you can analyze, monetize and promote your apps. There are over 650,000 apps using the AdMob service.
AdMob includes the ability to:
- Sell in-app purchases
- Cross-promote your app within your other apps
- Monetize your app by selling ad space within the app
AdMob integrates with Google Analytics, so you can see how people navigate through your app with flow charts.
What are some of the advertising techniques you have invested in as a company? Leave us a comment below and tell us what worked for you, or what didn’t work.Digital & Social Articles on Business 2 Community