As an entrepreneur, every day brings new challenges, many of which are extremely stressful. And without a big corporation to back you, it could literally mean the difference between paying your rent and not. So, how does one maintain their composure as they endure the ups and downs of growing a business?
Sadly, last week was not the best week in the history of Jenerosity Marketing…
First, a major deal on which we had been working for nearly a year fell apart at the last minute.
Then, due to a management change, another Client informed us they would no longer require our services.
To top it off, we were in somewhat “heated” negotiations with a third Client over a new project with a relatively tight timeline.
Needless to say, this all caused a great deal of stress for us, which is never particularly pleasant.
So, what do you do when things get a little hairy?
Here are a few suggestions that may help:
- Meditate – Not to sound too “new-age-y” but meditation can calm your nerves and get your head focused on more optimistic subjects. It also changes your energy, enabling you to attract better things all around.
- Make a gratitude list – Focusing on the gifts in your life and your business will help you to see that all is not lost. For example, amid the chaos of the past week, we did manage to execute a deal for one of our Clients that will help us exceed our annual sales goal!
- Envision a favorable outcome – The more you see your success in your mind’s eye, the more likely it will become a reality. This is the idea behind vision boards and intention setting. So, rather than wallow in the misfortune you have encountered, picture your victories and they will more likely become reality.
- Look on the bright side – Even if there is nothing you can do to make the situation better, usually there is a silver lining. In the case of the Client no longer needing our services, it created space and time for new and exciting projects that may be coming down the pike.
- Be productive – Sometimes, getting things done that can be beneficial later on is a great solution to beating stress. It might not solve the problem at hand, but it is a positive way to focus on other things and make you feel good about life and yourself.
- Do something fun or relaxing for yourself – Get a massage, exercise, catch a movie… All of these activities will help you get your mind off the obstacles that are presently causing you stress, allowing you to come back to the table refreshed and ready to face the challenges head on!
These are just some of the things you can do to deal with the pressures of building a business.
As always, please share some of your tricks in the comments below…