It’s surprisingly difficult to build a killer website today. This is because there are some universal rules of good design you must always follow. Once you learn what they are and how to carry them out, you too can have a killer website. So, what are these tips for building a killer website?
1. It All Starts with the Host
A good web host will go a long way in helping you create a killer website. This is because you want your pages to load quickly or else your design efforts will go to waste since nobody wants to stick around waiting on a slow web site to load. Of course, it’s also easier to do your job when you have a lot of support in place for when and if you need it.
2. Choose and Use Only Three Colours
Before you get started with anything else, it’s a good idea to choose three colours to use and then stick with them because consistency is important in making your site look cohesive. Neutral colours with a strong accent colour (e.g. a white background with dark grey text and blue as an accent colour) make a bold statement.
3. Learn the Fundamental of Type Design
There are also some tips you should keep in mind for the text on your website, such as:
· Make it bold and easy to scan
· Use a large, stark font that’s easy to read (e.g. San Serif) for headlines
· Make the font size larger than necessary so it’s easy to read (e.g. 16 px)
· Opt for a Serif font face when you have a lot of writing on your website
· Never create lines of text that are more than 50 to 60 characters in length
· It never hurts to use something with a touch of whimsy
With these tips in mind, you shouldn’t opt for typefaces like Helvetica. Instead, opt for things like Montserrat and Merriweather Sans instead.
4. Make Your Photos the Right Size
Since the internet is pixel based, you need to make sure your image is large enough it won’t look pixelated. For this reason, when you’re looking for images, it’s important they’re the right size. This will also add a touch of credibility to your site.
5. When in Doubt, Give It Some Room
While all the aforementioned design tips are important, it’s equally important you give your content some “breathing room.” In other words, make sure you use proper margins so your visitors can read what you’ve written and focus on what products or services you’re offering.
The main point here is you never want to overwhelm your visitors with too much text on your business website as this is somewhat daunting. Of course, you do need some text on your web site, but you want to break it up with larger sub headings and paragraphs people can actually read. You should also consider using icons and images to break up your content as well.
Ultimately, these 5 tips will help you to put together a killer website.Digital & Social Articles on Business 2 Community