Perhaps you’ve noticed more Facebook pages in the last few weeks publishing link posts that contain multiple images. (For example.) This relatively new feature – Facebook’s Carousel ad product – allows users to scroll through up to five different photos for the same link. This Facebook marketing development follows Instagram’s introduction of a carousel ad product earlier this year.
For Facebook marketers, this development opens up a world of new possibilities. Brands are no longer limited to selecting just one image to represent a link. At first take, you might think Carousel is just another way to show more pictures of the same thing. However, the most creative Facebook Carousel ads do much more. In Facebook’s own words, creative Carousel ads…
- Showcase your best products
- Highlight multiple product features
- Create a larger canvas
- Tell a good story
- Sell the benefits
- Show the steps
- Change with the seasons
Two Creative Facebook Carousel Ads
My first example comes from Gary Vaynerchuk. Gary, always a leader in social media trends, is using Facebook Carousel ads to:
- Encourage scrolling. He spreads out the name of his show across five different images.
- Share multiple quotes. (This is a great idea since Facebook doesn’t allow text to take up more than 20% on images.)
- Write out the names of different Podcast episodes. (Even though Facebook doesn’t let you link to multiple pages, you can at least write different headlines for the same thing.)
Making Your Own Carousel Ads
To make your own Facebook Carousel post, follow these guidelines:
- Recommended image size: 600 x 600 pixels
- Image ratio: 1:1
- Text: 90 characters
- Headline: 40 characters
- Link description: 20 characters
- Your image may not include more than 20% text.
Is Your Brand Making Carousel Ads?
Have you considered giving this approach a try? Why or why not?