In honor of International Women’s Day, Ford Motor Co. has released a humorous new ad highlighting the contributions that women inventors have made to the cars we drive every day.
The ad, narrated by Bryan Cranston, starts off purporting to be a commercial for a new “Men’s Only Edition” Ford Explorer. As the Explorer whips around mountain curves and cityscapes, we learn what the “Men’s Only Edition” Ford Explorer lacks: windshield wipers, turn signals, rear-view mirrors, GPS, and the heater.
All these parts and technologies have a common thread: They were invented by women. For the record, those women are:
- Florence Lawrence, the pioneer of brake and turn signals
- Dorothy Levitt, the creator of the rearview mirror
- Dorothée Pullinger, the innovator of the rearview mirror
- Hedy Lamarr, innovator of the communication system used in?cellular technology like Wi-Fi and GPS ?
- Dr. Gladys West, pioneer of the modern-day GPS
You can view the Ford “Men’s Only Edition” ad below in its entirety.